Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Education Program


After our 5 mile march, brief run in with a run away bull, and tour of the village on foot, we arrived back at the training center site to have a sit down rally. The chairman of the village, Wilson (our director), a teacher from the school, and I spoke about the importance of going to school.

Funny that a few weeks ago, i was telling the kids in America how much the African children value education, and now i am telling African's how much we value education as Americans. A little Ironic i think... ha! After everyone spoke it was time to feed the kids. Feeding the kids in the entire village is hard because they are like ants. They just run everywhere and you have to figure out who you have fed and who you have not. It is terrible because you know that many of them don’t eat often, and while you don’t want to deny them more, you can’t let them get seconds. The only thing I can compare it to … would be like attempting to herd cats. Some Muzungus took charge of the hand washing, some took charge of getting the food from the “kitchen” (or fire) and I took charge of the herding. I felt terrible because I had to get out my serious face, teacher finger, and get cranky at kids who tried to get back in line. It was possibly the worst job ever.. and I felt terrible denying hungry kids more food. BUT if we let some get more, then some wouldn’t get any at all.
The kids all got their own plate of food AND a soda. It was a VERY big deal! They loved their life at that moment. Luckily enough, there was enough food to feed the parents as well. Typically when there is food, the parents eat first and leave the kids for last. It is really sad and kind of the opposite of my thought process... but that is why we made sure that we fed the kids first this time. After everyone ate, it was time for the big launch. The kids all got a paper airplane and were ready to go.


This was SUCH an awesome day and i had a lot of fun. Here is Joanne with her plane. I think that possibly the kids had as much fun as we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment