Sunday, June 27, 2010

T I A (This is Africa)

Sorry it is a while since my last post. we lost our connection at the house. I am fine. things are going great. i have done amazing things and met incredible people. I love it!!! I have helped build a wheel chair at a rehabilitation children's hospital and layed a concrete foundation for a squatty (toilet hole) in a village. It has been so humbling. You will never truly appreciate water until you have to carry it 1/2 mile on your head only to arrive and realize you have to go get more. OR taking showers with buckets because there is no running water. I am learning a lot about myself as well as what is important while i am here. It is unbelievable here. A lot of people have asked about where i live and what i eat, so here you go. This is the back side of our house.


I share a bedroom with 7 other girls. 6 of them were there already and two of us came the same day. They are great. I sleep on the top bunk. My mosquito net hangs from the ceiling. I think that sleeping up top is better then the bottom when it comes to bug bites. Knock on wood, it hasn't been bad. My mattress isn't the most comfortable thing in the world, and the dogs bark all night but thank goodness i learned in China how to sleep no matter what!

This is our backyard. It is where we hang our laundry, and also where our chickens live. Yes we have chickens. Brooke brought a hammock so it is a great place to hang out and enjoy some quite time. The African's use tree's and bushes to hang their clothes to dry so that is what we do too.






The food has not been too bad either. We typically have some sort of rice/pasta, potatoes, and bananas or matooke (which is fried bananas). We have pineapple every night which is awesome. We also get Chapati.. which for those of you who have been to Flat Top, it is pretty much like the roti bread they have there. I like it. The best is when we have that with fried egg in the middle. The best day however, might have been the day that we got the egg chapati AND avocado. I mean really ... does it get any better then that. We have also stopped up at the Quality market to pick up other items like Frosties (Frosted Flakes), Fruity Rings (fruit loops), and COFFEE!!












Things i have learned:

- Muzungu means white person and that is what we are called, but not in a negative way.
- Do not eat meat, the cows and chickens graze on trash
- Boys/girls wear non gender specific clothes, so you might think its a girl, and he's the cutest little boy ever! ha
- Babies wear tight beaded bands around their middle to create a waistline
- Boda Boda's are motorcycles that are like Taxi's... you do NOT get on one, if you value your life.

1 comment:

  1. This brings back SO many memories of an awesome summer spent with you!! I love all of your updates! I am so excited for you to be there. It is definitely the Melissa I became friends with to see you there. I want to be there too...aghh!! I am so jealous!!

    Have a blast, soak it all in, and enjoy every moment helping everyone you can. Can't wait for you to get back so we can come and visit and hear all about it!

    Love ya Melissa!! Stay safe...have fun...

    ReplyDelete