Monday, June 28, 2010

Nsambya Babies Home

This was possibly my favorite day ever. We went to the Nsambya Babies home. I was chosen as the Muzungu to stay back with the kids. Basically that meant that everyone else had to go clean the sidewalks and chicken coop, and i stayed in a room with about 15 orphans and some toys. We sang songs and played. I was in a little piece of heaven. It was however, one of the saddest things i have ever experienced. They do not have diapers, so basically i spend the day getting pee'd on but i could have stayed there and hugged those babies forever.
They were so much fun. My favorites were Champs and Joseph. Champs had the best personality. He was crackin' me up. He was definitely a mimic. He sang all the songs with me AND did the hand motions like twinkle twinkle and where is thumbkin. At first, they left me in there with no toys, and about 15 crying babies. I didn't know what to do ... so i started singing. That seemed to work. When i ran out of nursery rhymes, which happened quickly, i started singing 1st grade sing a long songs. THANKS guys!!!! They loved the donut song as much as i do. HAHA

In the corner, on a crib mattress, was my heart. I don't know her name, because no one could tell me what it was. I spent a lot of time with her. She was probably 3 or 4 based on her teeth. I am guessing that she might have Cerebral Palsy, but i am not sure. She was very rigid and did not have good head control. I am guessing that she does not get a lot of attention. I tried to stretch her, and lets be honest, i couldn't keep my hands off her. I will absolutely be making sure that every time i am there, i spend some time stretching and talking to her. The kids love it so much when people come, that they want to be held and played with. They literally climb all over you. as you can see below with Rose sitting on my head. She was kind of a bully, but so funny. I would tell her "You be nice" and she would repeat. It was hilarious. She cracked me up.





I got to help feed them and quickly fell in love with Betty. She called me mama, which i'm not gonna lie, was a little bit of a killer. She was so stinkin' cute i could have eaten her up. She made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment